The Academy of Natural Therapy, Inc. was founded by Dorothy Mongan. It was incorporated in Colorado on October 30, 1989. Dorothy started the school due to her passion for teaching and because well-trained, professional therapists were needed in Northern Colorado.
In 1995, Jeremiah James Mongan became co-owner of the Academy of Natural Therapy, Inc., and joined the school administration as the Academy’s Executive Director. The school has grown in distinction every year by using up-to-date methods of massage taught by experienced teachers using excellent and time-tested curriculum’s for the Massage Programs.
In January 2007 the school grew out of its location in Eaton, CO and moved to its current location in downtown Greeley. Since then the school has been in constant growth and change. In 2006 the school’s 1000 hour program was approved for Title IV funding and in 2009 an AAS degree was approved. In January 2016 the Academy began a 750-hour massage program. In July 2016, it was mandated that only the 750-hour program would be eligible for government funding. Applicants may still have options to take the diverse list of additional classes that were offered in the previous programs.
The Academy of Natural Therapy provides a strong, comprehensive Massage Therapy Program. From the very beginning, the Academy embraced the philosophy that massage is primarily the art of caring for people. The Academy’s Massage Therapy Program is founded on the idea of treating the whole person and helping the body to heal itself.
The well-rounded curriculum of the Massage Therapy Program encompasses a broad foundation of how the body works, and how Massage Therapists can assist individuals in a practical, as well as therapeutic sense. Keeping these concepts in mind, the Academy maintains the following important principles:
- The Academy will charge a competitive and fair price for the Massage Therapy program.
- The Academy will provide an educational environment for maximum learning and practical application of the massage skills necessary to pursue a rewarding career.
- The Academy will embrace change as needed and continue to enhance the quality of the educational program.
The Academy of Natural Therapy offers students the highest quality of education, as well as the most advanced techniques of Massage Therapy available. To that end, the Academy of Natural Therapy is committed to providing graduates with the skills necessary to offer effective and professional care to clients.
Our Educational Objectives
The knowledge gained at the Academy incorporates the elements of massage with advanced skills, to enhance the overall health and well-being of the client. Students are provided with the educational tools necessary to:
- Acquire an in-depth foundation of the scientific knowledge related to massage techniques and applications.
- Understand the effectiveness of Massage Therapy in relationship to the body, and recognize its limitations.
- Demonstrate safe and effective means for assessing the mind-body status of the client and to determine the most effective means of intervention.
- Increase student’s self-awareness and enhance his/her ability to effectively contribute to the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of clients.
- Develop an understanding of proper ethical practices as a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT).
- Demonstrate confidence and professionalism in the practice of Massage Therapy.
- Integrate the various approaches of mind-body therapy and scientific knowledge into a functional understanding of the human body as a whole.
- Prepare graduates to establish their own professional massage practices and to secure employment in medical or other healthcare agencies.